Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Superman Vs the Supercenter.

I don't know who asks these survey questions in the first place but I was disturbed by a bit of poo that got on me as I walked by a T.V. that was on at work. Americans were asked what one icon epitomizes America. Survey says.... Walmart. And we pick on the French. They have great food. Exquisite wine. The best Footballers on the planet and they take the month of August off for vacation. The Louvre, Paris, Marseille and a language in which you can say "hey honey, I think the milk is bad" and it sounds like a sweet invitation into the boudoir. And we have Walmart!!! The evil empire that is Walmart has single handedly destroyed more small towns by suffocating the small stores that once thrived in the squares and main streets. How very ironic that we choose this generic cut throat corporation as our nation's icon. I'd take God damned Disney over Walmart. No I take that back.... I'm still pissed at them ruining Florida and turning "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" into a happy musical. BASTARDS!!! Come on. Just off the top of my sleep deprived head some icons: The Statue of Liberty (Another French connection) The Grand Canyon. New Orleans. Minor league Baseball. Jazz. Somewhere Studs Terkel is turning over in his grave along with Woody Guthrie. This week Stetson Kennedy turns 93. He was a civil and human rights activist back when those kind of activities could get your head blown off. He infiltrated the Klan and gathered evidence of crimes only to be turned away by state prosecutors and the F.B.I. So he turned to the writers of the radio program "Superman" and gave them code words and plots used by the Klan in order to expose their secret world. To me if I had to choose an iconic figure that symbolizes the strength and heart of America I might just choose this warm and brave old man from North Florida who has lived his life in defense of all our rights. Happy birthday superman.

No comments:

Post a Comment